Thursday, February 25, 2010

Easy Roast for Busy Nights


This is my all time favorite, SIMPLE slow cooker roast recipe. I love it for those nights filled with school events, t-ball practice, soccer and the works! It's great to come home and have a dinner that's home "cooked" and waiting on you. You can use a shoulder roast or rump roast, whichever you prefer - both work great. I usually put my roast in the crock pot the night before, place it in the refrigerator and pull it out the next morning before I leave for work - that way I just have to turn it on and go!

1 roast
1 packet Au Jus Gravy
1 c. water
Onion, carrots, potatoes (optional)

Place the roast in your crock pot, pour one cup water over the roast and sprinkle one packet of Au Jus Gravy mix over the roast. Cook the roast on low heat for 8-10 hours. If you prefer onions, carrots and/or potatoes with your roast, you can add these to the crock pot and allow to cook all day as well. I usually get everything mixed up and in the crock pot, set it in the refrigerator the night before and take it out and begin cooking it before I leave for work the next morning. The Au Jus makes for a great flavor and after a day of work and after school activities - it's nice to come home to a cooked meal and a great smelling house!

Want an easy cornbread to make with it? I have a great recipe from my mom...easy and YUMMY!

2 c. buttermilk
2 c. Cornmeal mix
1 tbsp. oil
1 egg

Mix all ingredients well, pour into a well greased iron skillet. Cook at 425 degrees for 20-30 minutes until dark brown and golden. Enjoy!

No comments: